An Open Letter to All Dads/Kids:
I’m going to be blunt with you because, bless your sweet mother’s heart, she just can’t. Your mom DOES want breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. And she does love you very much. But she DOES NOT want a big freaking mess in her kitchen or a thousand calorie food baby to try to burn off later. More than likely, your (attempt at homemade) cinnamon rolls just aren’t worth it.
Instead, pour her coffee and make her a Beef & Egg Breakfast Mug AKA “The Momelette” with leftover ground beef* and her favorite veggies. Serve it in a personalized mug with your cute little mugs or a Ryan Gosling meme on it, whatever you think she’d like.
Then, whatever you do the rest of the day, do what she says.
You’re welcome in advance,
*Or do her one better and make taco seasoned ground beef, with enough extra to make a dinner this week that much quicker and easier for her! It’s the resourceful, lower calorie way of saying I love you.
A triple-tested, you can’t screw it up, sure fire, bad cook proof Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner recipe
- 1 recipe Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage (recipe follows)
- 1 cup chopped fresh vegetables such as tomato, baby spinach, bell pepper, zucchini or green onion
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese such as Cheddar, Monterey Jack or American
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Dairy sour cream, salsa, sriracha, ketchup
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEEF AND EGG BREAKFAST MUGS
- Prepare Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage. Remove skillet from heat; let cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Evenly divide beef and vegetables into eight food-safe quart-size plastic bags. Close securely and refrigerate up to 4 days.
- For each serving, spray one 6 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; whisk with fork. Stir in 1 bag refrigerated beef-vegetable mixture.
- Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 30 seconds. Remove from oven; stir. Continue to microwave on HIGH 30 to 60 seconds or until egg is just set. Stir. Top with cheese. Let stand 30 seconds or until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with Toppings, if desired.
Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage:
Combine 1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner), 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
Taco Seasoning Variation:
Prepare beef as directed above, substituting 1 packet (1 ounce) reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix for herbs and seasonings in step 1.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.